Sunday, September 13, 2009

The Key To Surviving Suffering

Focus verses: Job 19:23-27

After a tragedy in our own family, the comments I heard most from the people I know and the people I work with were: "You are so strong" and "I don't see how you do it."

In fact, I'm not strong. I simply know where to lean and that makes me look strong. When one has a relationship with God and knows that the wrongdoing is not of his own making, he can endure much.

Will he like it? Of course not. Will it be easy? No. Can it be done? Yes, it can. Many have already done it. And in Job, we have a prime example.

The key is found in verse 25. "I know that my Redeemer lives..." It is one of the highlights Handel's "Messiah" oratorio.

This knowledge is a foundational rock for our faith. When God is ultimately the judge and the king, all wickedness will be recompensed appropriately as will all righteousness. Knowing that the ultimate judgment will be handled by the righteous God - the God who created me and loves me and wants only the best for me - lets me endure anything life can throw my way.

That's how Job got through this trial by Satan. It's how anyone can endure anything.

Father, God,

Help us to plant our feet firmly on this foundation stone of faith. Reassure us that You are the ultimate judge and will redeem the faithful from any suffering. Grant us the grace to draw closer to You so that we may withstand any of the darts of the evil one.
In Jesus' most precious name.
Amen.

No comments: