Friday, January 8, 2010

Order

Focus verses: Genesis 1:1-3

From nothingness, God created an orderly system. Stars and galaxies and planets move in such an order the scientists can predict with confidence that a solar eclipse will occur on a specific date and at a precise minute within the prescribed hour.

When things are in order, they are predictable. My grandmother used to say "a place for everything and everything in its place."

But my twelve room house is cluttered and cramped because I don't have a specified place for everything, so everything is not in "its place." The worst offender is the space I call my "office." I need to weed through the clutter and dispose of much of it. Then categorize and create a system for the remainder so that I can retrieve what I need at a moment's notice.

When I ask God for knowledge, I've noticed He doesn't shine a floodlight all around me, He seems to use a little flashlight to illuminate one small area at a time. I'm going to use that system for this office. Rather than tackling all of it all at once, I will take one section at a time. There are three two-drawer file cabinets, eight bookcases, two open TV stands which hold paper and supplies, and a multi-compartment computer desk. Most offensive of all are the stacks and piles of paper on every surface. Specific goal for this week is to get all the horizontal surfaces clear - nothing on them that doesn't belong. This will be an ongoing project through the year.

Where is there disorder in your life? What can you clear up and organize? Ask Him for help and let us know how it goes.

Father, God,

Shine the light of Your corrective love on the corners of our lives that we can work to improve. Show us how to create order that we might be more reflective of You in all areas of our lives.
In Jesus' most precious name.
Amen.

For the Record
My words from the Lord for last week:
Saturday: Be prepared
Sunday: Be hospitable
Monday: Be industrious
Tuesday: Be patient
Wednesday: Be supportive
Thursday: Be faithful
Friday: Be productive

I was amazed that the words were all "be" not "do." I had thought I'd be told to "do" something -- and then I realized, God is I AM, not I DO. If we are to be like Him, we are to be. What we do will flow out of that being.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you have a good plan for bringing order to your space. One of my sister's favorite sayings is "Inch by inch..."