Thursday, May 14, 2009

My People

Focus verses: II Chronicles 7:11-22

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

This promise from God is our only hope at this time in our history. I cringe when I think we have a president who states openly that we are not a Christian nation. This nation was founded by Christians on Judeo-Christian principles.

For forty years, we have taught revisionist history in our public schools. We have vaunted the sensational over the accurate. We allow the media hype to sway our opinions without studying the issues to discover the truth. Worst of all, we have grown lukewarm about defending our faith. We are silent and almost apologetic when Christianity is under attack.

Our only hope lies in following the precepts in this verse:
If my people who are called by my name--that's us, the Christians.
Will humble themselves and pray and seek my face -- notice the progression: humility, prayer, seeking.
And turn from their wicked ways -- quit aiding, abetting and tolerating evil.

If we do all these things, in this order, we have the promise of God that He will hear and forgive our sin, and heal our land.

Notice that He says the sin is ours, meaning belonging to the people called by his name. It is our sins of apathy and tolerance that need forgiveness, not the sins of the worldly who do not belong to Him.

Father, God,

Grant us the courage to see the ungodly attacks on Christianity as disrespect for you. Give us the wisdom to speak up for our faith effectively.
In Jesus' most precious name.
Amen.

No comments: