Thursday, April 23, 2009

Undivided Heart

Focus verses: Psalm 86

David was called a man after God's own heart. A prayer like this one will help us to know how he got that way. He asked for it.

God is quite simple. He loves us - each of us - as if there were only one of us, as if you were His only child. If we ask Him to give us this undivided heart, He will honor that prayer. But what does it mean, exactly?

It means that God is first in our hearts. It means that whatever else we love and appreciate, we do so in light of God's love for us and His love for the other person. It means that we love God most.

God loves me. I love God. God loves you so I love you. I love you, as God loves you, because my love is only a small reflection of His love.

That love means that I seek your benefit before I seek my own. There was an old saying I learned in Sunday School. JOY equals Jesus first, Others second, Yourself last. It's a simple formula - but it is true.

If we put God first in our lives, think of others in light of His love for them, and rest securely in His love for us, knowing that He will take care of our needs, life will be a lot more pleasant.

Father, God,

Grant us an undivided heart. Help us to respond to Your love for us, by loving all the rest of Your hurting world as you love it.
In Jesus' most precious name.
Amen.

No comments: